LEAGUES

CAS dismisses Santos appeal over Neymar's Barcelona move

30 days ago
Share

Barcelona were not guilty of any wrongdoing over the deal to sign Neymar in 2013, the Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has cleared Barcelona of committing fraud when they signed Neymar from Barcelona.

Santos launched an appeal claiming they were owed €61,295,000 by Barca in compensation and damages relating to the Paris Saint-Germain forward's move to Spain in 2013.

The Brazilian club took their case to FIFA, believing Barca had broken the rules with payments made to Neymar's father and the family company N&N.

However, on Tuesday it was revealed CAS had dismissed Santos' challenge.

A CAS statement said: "The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed the appeal made by Santos to FIFA in which the Brazilian club claimed a payment of €61,295,000 in damages from FC Barcelona and the corresponding sporting bans with regards to the transfer of Neymar Jr. 

"The CAS considers that the contract between Santos and the player was ended by mutual agreement, that FC Barcelona did not infringe any transfer agreement when it paid additional amounts to the father of the player and to the N&N company and that FC Barcelona did not behave in a fraudulent manner when it signed a pre-contract with Neymar Jr nor when it signed a transfer agreement with Santos. 

"The CAS verdict compels Santos to pay FC Barcelona's legal costs, a figure of 20,000 Swiss francs."

News of the verdict came on a day when Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu said it is "unlikely" the Brazil international will return to Camp Nou.

"Such an operation is unlikely because the situation of all the clubs in Europe is very difficult," Bartomeu told RAC 1.

Neymar was last month ordered by a judge to pay Barcelona €6.7m over a contract dispute with the Catalan giants following his €222m world-record move to PSG in August 2017.

Related news

Guardiola hopes Messi stays at Barcelona

30 days ago

Barca boss Setien sniffs title chance despite Real Madrid's seven-win streak

30 days ago

Setien gets Bartomeu backing, but Barca president expects Xavi back 'one day'

30 days ago

Barcelona signing Neymar 'unlikely'

30 days ago

Rumour Has It: Man Utd and Man City battling for Koulibaly and Skriniar, Rangnick agrees Milan deal

about 1 month ago

Sevilla's Ocampos scores and makes injury-time save as goalkeeper in LaLiga

about 1 month ago

Pirelli can help Inter sign Messi but not significantly – Tronchetti

about 1 month ago

Lautaro Martinez 'must find peace of mind' amid Barca links – Inter CEO Marotta

about 1 month ago

Barcelona did not conduct smear campaign, investigation finds

about 1 month ago

Next Generation – Rayan Cherki, Lyon's latest academy gem earning links to Real Madrid, Man Utd

about 1 month ago

Real Madrid get more penalties because they attack more - Simeone

about 1 month ago

Allegri opens up on Real Madrid talks, praises Zidane 'masterclass'

about 1 month ago

Joao Felix out of Atletico's trip to Celta with ankle injury

about 1 month ago

Rumour Has It: PSG agree to let Neymar return to Barcelona, Sancho price set

about 1 month ago

Gattuso not yet turning focus to Barcelona

about 1 month ago

Pique urges Barcelona to 'fight to the end' in LaLiga

about 1 month ago

Setien praises Griezmann after Barcelona forward ends goal drought

about 1 month ago

Messi has said he wants to retire at Barcelona – Bartomeu

about 1 month ago

Barcelona reach 9,000 goals in Villarreal victory

about 1 month ago