Jorge Jesus motivated to remain at Flamengo amid Newcastle links

5 months ago

Newcastle United's potential new owners are said to be tracking Jorge Jesus, who is hoping to extend his contract at Flamengo.

Jorge Jesus is reportedly a target for Newcastle United, but he is keen to stay on at Flamengo.

After being appointed as Flamengo boss on a one-year contract last June, Jesus has been incredibly successful.

He led the Rio de Janeiro giants to the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores double in 2019 and this year tasted glory in the Supercopa do Brasil, Recopa Sudamericana and the Taca Guanabara - the opening stage of the state championship.

Along with Mauricio Pochettino, the former Sporting CP and Benfica coach has been touted as a potential successor for Steve Bruce at St James' Park with Newcastle close to being taken over by a Saudi Arabia-backed ownership group.

Jesus returned to Portugal when Brazilian football was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic but began his journey back to Rio on Friday.

The 65-year-old will then continue discussions about a contract extension and plan for a potential return to training when local lockdown measures are eased.

"Right now, I have nothing on my mind. I have to live day by day, know that what happens is because of this epidemic and make decisions," Jesus told Portuguese publication Record.

"I have two months, and Flamengo's directors have to decide what is best for them.

"We feel like we've created a great team. That's one of the factors that motivates me a lot more to continue, and the way I've been treated too. I have two months to decide my future.

"I feel that Flamengo want me a lot and that is decisive for me, to have a club that wants me a lot."

Asked about the possibility of taking a pay cut due to the financial impact of the coronavirus outbreak on Flamengo, he said: "That is not what the issue is at the moment.

"I am no different from anyone else. This is happening all over the world with professionals in all other areas, so it will also be discussed with me."

Milner: It was 'big to get over the line' and win first trophy with Liverpool

Coronavirus: Serie A clubs vote unanimously to finish 2019-20 season - reports

Coronavirus: Serie A clubs handed training boost

5 months ago

Coronavirus: Premier League should consider completing season in Europe, says Neville

Rumour Has It: Liverpool target Koulibaly, Man Utd consider Werner

5 months ago

Lionel Messi to Inter? It's possible because of Zanetti – former assistant Jose Morais

Like Gerrard, De Rossi or Lampard – Totti backs Tonali to become world's best

Ibrahimovic compared to Federer by Milan boss Pioli

5 months ago

Setien: Martinez is a great footballer and playing with Messi is a huge incentive

Coronavirus: Most Premier League players are scared to return – Aguero

He'd make our team better – Alexander-Arnold would love Sancho at Liverpool

Next Generation – Szoboszlai's development a family achievement

5 months ago

Grealish joining big club 'only a matter of time', says Villa team-mate Hourihane

Coronavirus: Liverpool hit back at mayor's 'non-starter' comments

5 months ago

Coronavirus: Liverpool mayor dismisses Premier League resumption as 'non-starter'

Au rev-Sarr! Coveted France Under-21 international intends to leave Nice

Minamino to Liverpool 'the best possible decision' – Szoboszlai

Fred vows to hit Man Utd goals trail and hails Bruno Fernandes influence

5 months ago

Coronavirus: FIFA medical chief sorry to be the bearer of bad news