Chiellini on his future: I will play another year, then see how I feel

5 months ago

Having missed so much of the 2019-20 season through injury, Giorgio Chiellini has no plans to retire soon.

Giorgio Chiellini plans to play at least one more season before retiring as he aims to sign off in style with Italy at the delayed Euro 2020 tournament.

The Juventus defender has missed the majority of the 2019-20 season after suffering a serious knee injury in August, though he returned to action prior to the coronavirus-enforced suspension.

While he will turn 36 in August, Chiellini has no intention of hanging up his boots in the near future, suggesting there is a possibility of him carrying on beyond the 2020-21 campaign.

In an Instagram Live chat with actress Martina Colombari, the wife of former Milan and Italy defender Alessandro Costacurta, the centre-back also revealed how a move into coaching is unlikely once his playing days are finally over.

"I will play another year, then I'll see how I feel and how my legs hold up," Chiellini said.

"I could retire next summer or have another season after that. I would like to continue in football, probably more a directorial role than management, but you never know in life.

"I hope to get there [Euro 2020] in excellent condition to live this last international event to the fullest.

"We have experienced players and many strong youngsters. Ending with a great European [Championship] would be a great satisfaction, closing the circle."

Chiellini admitted the injury was a huge blow but embraced the "challenge" of making a full recovery, something that may not have been the case at an earlier stage in his career.

"At the beginning it was difficult, accepting an injury is not easy, but I'm glad I had it at 35 because you have a different maturity. I found it as a challenge with myself," he explained.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic 'not a possibility' for Bologna

Rumour Has It: Man Utd prepared to sacrifice to beat Real Madrid to Van de Beek

Inter deserved much more – Conte upbeat despite Coppa Italia exit

5 months ago

Mertens moves clear of Hamsik to become Napoli's all-time leading scorer

Vidal: I want to feel important at Barcelona

Even the greatest miss penalties – Bonucci defends Juve team-mate Ronaldo

Rumour Has It: Liverpool lead Sancho race, Man Utd eye Lazio's Immobile

5 months ago

Sarri pleased with Cristiano Ronaldo despite penalty miss as Juve reach Coppa Italia final

Calhanoglu angered by lack of VAR on Rebic red card

5 months ago

Juventus 0-0 Milan (1-1 agg): Final spot secured despite Ronaldo penalty failure

5 months ago

Juventus confident about Dybala contract renewal

Setien reveals Arthur talks amid rumours of Barcelona exit

Higuain, Chiellini and Ramsey out of Coppa Italia semi-final second leg

My England side was better, but Southgate's squad is stronger – Eriksson

5 months ago

Martinelli, Carrascal and the 'Next Generation' stars who could emerge for 2021 Copa America

5 months ago

Rumour Has It: Van Dijk to sign five-year Liverpool deal, Martinez to push for Barcelona move

5 months ago

Camavinga, Moukoko and Fati: The uncapped 'Next Generation' stars set to benefit from Euros delay

5 months ago

Rumour Has It: Dortmund expecting Sancho exit amid Man Utd links, Juve eyeing Roma's Zaniolo

Martinez is doing well, but Suarez's history can't be ignored – Eto'o