LEAGUES

Perez promises Bernabeu tribute to former Real Madrid president Sanz

8 months ago
Share

Florentino Perez declared Real Madrid have lost "a fine Madridista" following the passing of former president Lorenzo Sanz.

Florentino Perez believes Lorenzo Sanz deserves "the greatest recognition" from Real Madrid, promising a tribute will be made to the former president at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Sanz, who was club president at Madrid between 1995 and 2000, died at the age of 76 after contracting the coronavirus.

In a statement on the club's website, current president Perez highlighted the success Madrid enjoyed under Sanz, who presided over two Champions League triumphs, including the 1998 title that ended a 32-year wait for glory in Europe's top club competition.

"Today, we remember Lorenzo Sanz, who has fallen victim to this tragedy," Perez said.

"He was the president who gave us Madridistas the long-awaited European Cup after a 32-year absence. We Madridistas will forever remember him as the president who brought hope and joy flooding back on the 20th of May 1998 in Amsterdam.

"La Septima was ours. It was then followed by La Octava two years on, in the year 2000 in Paris, as Real Madrid returned to its rightful position in football's history books.

"Beyond those two European Cups, under his tutelage, the club also clinched one Intercontinental Cup, one LaLiga title, a Spanish Super Cup, a basketball league title and Cup Winners' Cup."

Perez said Sanz still attended Madrid matches regularly and was present to witness the club's four Champions League triumphs between 2015 and 2018.

He had been admitted to hospital with coronavirus-like symptoms and his son, Lorenzo, announced his death on social media on Saturday.

Perez added: "We've lost a fine Madridista who dedicated a large part of his life to what was both his and his family's greatest pleasure: Real Madrid.

"Here at the club, we'll do all we can to honour his memory and legacy, to pay him the tribute that all of Madridismo craves. Lorenzo deserves the greatest recognition.

"A tribute to him in our Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, where he continued to attend every game in order to stay close to his team. For now, as we all know, this is not possible, but we will of course ensure it takes place in order to enshrine his memory in the minds of new generations of Madridismo."

Related news

Rumour Has It: Barca reach Martinez agreement, Man Utd 'optimistic' over Pogba

8 months ago

Coronavirus: Cannavaro doubts European football will resume before season's end

8 months ago

Coronavirus: Messi thanked by hospital for donation

8 months ago

Rumour Has It: Ronaldo wants Juve exit amid PSG & Man Utd links, Barca make Martinez offer

8 months ago

Coronavirus: Hleb jokes Messi & Ronaldo could arrive as football continues in Belarus

8 months ago

On this day in sport: Australia caught ball tampering, Gronk calls it a career

8 months ago

Coronavirus: LaLiga season suspended indefinitely

8 months ago

Rumour Has It: Barca to launch audacious bid to re-sign Neymar, Ter Stegen tempted by Bayern

8 months ago

Coronavirus: I've only gone outside to throw out the trash – Barca's Rakitic

8 months ago

Coronavirus: Real Madrid crowned FIFA 20 challenge champions thanks to Asensio

8 months ago

Coronavirus: Premier League, NBA, F1 – when are suspended competitions aiming to return?

8 months ago

Campo seethes at 'continuous lies' from Spanish politicians

8 months ago

Rumour Has It: Liverpool eyeing Barca & Madrid target Fabian, Man Utd re-open Pogba talks

8 months ago

Suarez ready to play for Barcelona when LaLiga returns

8 months ago

Coronavirus: Mijatovic mourns loss of former Real Madrid president Sanz

8 months ago

Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz passes away

9 months ago

Coronavirus: Lewandowski follows Goretzka and Kimmich with donation

9 months ago

Barcelona Opta special: Setien struggles and Messi magic in 2019-20

9 months ago

Coronavirus: Break means no favourite when Real Madrid travel to Man City – Capello

9 months ago