Rumour Has It: Man City target Messi amid Barcelona chaos
Amid the chaos at Barcelona, Manchester City are reportedly eyeing Lionel Messi.FotMob - 3 years ago
With all eyes on Barcelona, Lionel Messi's future is again a talking point.
The Catalans capitulated in the Champions League on Friday, thrashed 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals in an embarrassing defeat.
Quique Setien appears set to be sacked as coach, while Messi's future has become unclear.
TOP STORY – MAN CITY TARGET MESSI AMID BARCELONA CHAOS
Manchester City think they are in pole position to sign Messi if he leaves Barcelona, according to the Mirror.
Messi, 33, is contracted to Barca until next year and is reportedly prepared to walk away from the club amid the chaos.
City have been linked with the record six-time Ballon d'Or winner previously, while Inter are another reportedly interested.
- Changes are expected at Barcelona. AS reports Messi will be free to decide his future in January, while it says Setien and technical secretary Eric Abidal are on their way out.
- The focus otherwise in Spain is on Setien's replacement at Barcelona. Mundo Deportivo reports Netherlands coach Ronald Koeman is a candidate to take over at Camp Nou with Mauricio Pochettino and Al Sadd boss Xavi losing steam. Marca says Pochettino and Koeman are favourites, while Sport reports the former Tottenham manager is the frontrunner. It says Koeman, Massimiliano Allegri, Thierry Henry and Garcia Pimienta are also candidates.
- Elsewhere, Chelsea's apparent search for a defender continues. The Sun reports they are closing in on a £40million move for Brighton and Hove Albion centre-back Lewis Dunk, who is also reportedly a target for Tottenham.
- Staying at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea are also linked with goalkeepers to replace Kepa Arrizabalaga. The Sun says Chelsea and Everton are targeting Watford's 37-year-old shot-stopper Ben Foster.
- After an impressive loan spell at Roma, Chris Smalling is attracting plenty of interest. Sky Sports reports Newcastle United are keen on the Manchester United defender.