LEAGUES

Barcelona boss Setien urges UEFA to allow Camp Nou clash with Napoli

5 months ago
Share

Quique Setien saw Barcelona draw at Napoli back in February, and he says the Italians should not be spared a Camp Nou trip.

Barcelona boss Quique Setien has called for UEFA to allow the Catalans to face Napoli at Camp Nou in their unresolved Champions League tie.

A 1-1 draw in Naples on February 25 should have been followed on March 18 by the second leg in Barcelona, but the coronavirus pandemic forced the match to be called off.

That left the last-16 tie hanging in the balance, and UEFA said on Wednesday the second leg will be played on August 7 or 8.

Barcelona feel it would only be fair for the Napoli match to be played on their own pitch, given the Italians had home advantage for the first game.

UEFA has held off making a ruling so far but could tell the clubs to play at a neutral ground in Portugal, given the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final of the competition will all be hosted in Lisbon from August 12-23.

"What I hope is that against Napoli we can play here," Setien said on Thursday. "They already played at home with a lot of people cheering on their team."

Napoli showed their improvement under coach Gennaro Gattuso by edging out Juventus on penalties to win the Coppa Italia on Wednesday, and they pose a major threat to Barcelona's hopes of progressing.

Setien is also wary of the format that UEFA has imposed from the quarter-finals onwards, albeit conscious they had little other option than to compress the rest of the competition to one-off matches, given time constraints.

He said: "I think it is worse, but not only for Barca, for everyone. With two games you have the possibility of solving a mistake in one of them.

"We all would like to play a two-leg game, but the circumstances are what they are, and you have to adapt. There are many new circumstances and this is going to be another."

Related news

Lionel Messi saluted by Setien as Barca great targets 700th career goal

5 months ago

It's difficult when you live football like me – Gattuso hails 'great win' as Napoli celebrate Coppa triumph

5 months ago

Rumour Has It: Messi to extend Barcelona contract until 2023

5 months ago

It's like a mini Euros – Balzaretti calls for yearly Champions League 'final eight'

5 months ago

Zidane: Real Madrid happy with Achraf

5 months ago

Joao Felix thrilled with brace in Atletico thrashing

5 months ago

Ronaldo and other Juventus stars lacking sharpness – Sarri

5 months ago

Atletico goalkeeper Oblak shatters LaLiga record

5 months ago

Gattuso: 'God of football' rewarded Napoli's work with Coppa win

5 months ago

Osasuna 0-5 Atletico Madrid: Joao Felix stars as Rojiblancos run riot

5 months ago

Buffon unfairly beaten as Sarri's Juventus approach crisis point

5 months ago

Napoli 0-0 Juventus (4-2 pens): Partenopei win Coppa after shoot-out

5 months ago

Zidane happy to adapt to new Champions League format

5 months ago

UEFA ExCo: What we learned about the Champions League, Europa League and Euro 2020

5 months ago

PSG chairman Al-Khelaifi welcomes Champions League return

5 months ago

Fans could attend Champions League final, says Ceferin

5 months ago

Mertens agrees new two-year Napoli contract, ending Chelsea and Inter links

5 months ago

Champions League to conclude with eight-team Lisbon tournament, UEFA confirms

5 months ago

Rumour Has It: Villa want £80m for Grealish as Man Utd consider options

5 months ago