LEAGUES

Mertens agrees new two-year Napoli contract, ending Chelsea and Inter links

5 months ago
Share

Chelsea and Inter have been dealt a blow to their transfer plans, with Dries Mertens opting to sign a new deal with Napoli.

Dries Mertens has signed a new contract with Napoli to tie him to the club until 2022 and end transfer speculation.

The Belgium international was seemingly set to depart Stadio San Paolo with his previous deal set to expire at the end of the season.

His contractual situation led to reports of apparent discussions with Chelsea and Inter, the latter of whom were said to be offering a significantly better wage than the package put together by Napoli.

But the 33-year-old is claimed to have reached an agreement to remain at Napoli in May, with the club making the official announcement just four days after Mertens overtook Marek Hamsik as their all-time leading goalscorer.

A Napoli statement read: "Napoli is pleased to announce that it has agreed terms with Dries Mertens over a new contract with the club.

"Mertens has signed for a further two years with the option to extend for a third."

Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis added on his official Twitter account: "Pleased to be together for a long time to come – long live Dries!"

Mertens moved to Napoli in 2013 after an eye-catching two-year spell with PSV and has since scored 122 goals in all competitions, including 90 in Serie A.

His most prolific single league campaign was with Napoli in 2016-17, when the forward netted 28 times in Serie A.

Related news

Cristiano Ronaldo said he will 'probably' end up in MLS, claims Nani

5 months ago

Mihajlovic signs Bologna contract extension

5 months ago

Fernandes relishing link-up with Man Utd star Pogba

5 months ago

In-demand Fraser rejects Bournemouth extension

5 months ago

Bellerin pledges to plant 3,000 trees for every Arsenal win this season

5 months ago

Rashford & Sterling making society better, says Guardiola

5 months ago

Rashford encourages players to speak up after his free school meals campaign

5 months ago

Rumour Has It: Villa want £80m for Grealish as Man Utd consider options

5 months ago

Arteta 'would love' to keep David Luiz at Arsenal

5 months ago

David Silva will finish season with Man City and deserves proper farewell – Guardiola

5 months ago

Boris Johnson: I was unaware of Marcus Rashford's free school meals plea before Tuesday

5 months ago

Marcus Rashford: UK Government has 'done what is right' after free school meals U-turn

5 months ago

Premier League is back: Aguero's goals, youthful United – the best 'big six' stats this season

5 months ago

Kyle made a brave statement - Guardiola defends Man City star Walker over lockdown controversy

5 months ago

Werner still in Leipzig's Champions League plans despite Chelsea rumours

5 months ago

Guardiola plans drink with Arteta but warns City aren't ready for fixture flurry

5 months ago

Premier League is back: Previously, in the Premier League...

5 months ago

Sarri defends record as he sets sights on first Juventus trophy

5 months ago

Sarri says Gattuso's Napoli can compete with the best ahead of Coppa Italia final

5 months ago